LIVINGSTON COUNTY SHERIFF MIKE MURPHYexperienced, principled leadership
The best county in the state
Since being elected Sheriff in 2016, I have had my foot on the gas, and I have no intention of letting up. This webpage is a small glimpse of the achievements and accomplishments since 2016. To get a better understanding, I would encourage you to visit the Sheriff’s Office home page at https://www.livgov.com/sheriff/ or check us out on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/LCSOMI.
As Sheriff, my wife Penny and I have had the opportunity to attend numerous events throughout the year, from ribbon cuttings, service projects, fundraisers, political events, parades, informational meetings, to chamber events and the like.
As Sheriff and previously as Undersheriff, attending these functions/events has made me realize that we live in the best county in the state. There is no question we have some work to do in some areas, but on a whole Livingston County serves as a model to other counties. This collaboration and cooperation are unprecedented.
CORRECTIONS AND FIELD SERVICES
We have enjoyed many accomplishments since taking the reins in both divisions of the office, corrections and field services. The following are just a few examples:
· We were able to solve a 40-year-old homicide and bring closure to the family.
· We established a Vivitrol program in partnership with the Livingston County Community of Mental Health. This gives opiate users a better chance of success upon leaving jail. We also established a MAT (Medically Assisted Treatment) Program.
· We now have two trained K9’s in the jail to help find contraband.
· We partnered with L.E.S.A. to address truancy and work to resolve the core issues surrounding this as well as low reading levels. In addition, we increased our number of school resource officers.
· We established a Community Outreach Unit, whose sole function is to work with the schools, non-profits and service providers to better understand community issues and work in concert with these groups to solve them.
· We undertook the monumental task of a total re-write of our policies and procedures for the field services division resulting in becoming the first and only Sheriff’s Office to date, to become accredited by the Michigan Law Enforcement Accreditation Commission.
· We entered into an agreement with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, establishing a saving for inmates who need medical attention off-site.
· We hosted a mock riot training exercise in which participants from local, state, and federal agencies participated. This was the first such training in the state of Michigan.
As mentioned, these are just a few highlights, none of which could have come to fruition without my highly dedicated and motivated staff. Again, I would encourage you to check out our official website to learn more and view our annual reports which contain much more detail.
I ASK FOR YOUR VOTE
Thank you for your confidence!
One of the most awesome things about being Sheriff is that my job is in the hands of the Livingston County Electorate, not a governmental unit, manager, mayor, or the governor. That being said, If you think I am doing what you expect as Sheriff and the office is heading in the right direction, I ask for your vote. Conversely, if you feel I am not doing my job or the office is heading in the wrong direction, please let me know and give me an opportunity to address the issue(s).
It is impossible in my position to make everyone happy, but I can tell you with all sincerity. I have given my all and will continue to do so. I have made decisions based on what is best for the county and my
office within the confines of the law and will stay the course. I have been open, honest, and approachable, and will continue to be. When elected, I made a promise to you and myself not to be the politician that you only see at election time. I have lived up to my promise and have no intentions of changing.
Thank you so much for your confidence and I look forward to continuing to serve Livingston County as your Sheriff.