The best county in the state
It is hard to believe that it has been over three years since I was elected sheriff. Since being elected I have had my foot on the gas, and I have no intention of letting up.
Many have you have met my Undersheriff Jeff Warder and his family. What a great addition to my office and Livingston County. Jeff and I are in lockstep when it comes to our passion for this office and service to our county.
As Sheriff, my wife Penny and I have the opportunity to attend numerous events throughout the year, from ribbon cuttings, service projects, fundraisers, political events, parades, informational meetings, to chamber events and the like.
As Sheriff and previously as Undersheriff, attending these functions/events has made me realize that we live in the best county in the state. There is no question we have some work to do in some areas, but on a whole Livingston County serves as a model to other counties. Collaboration and cooperation is unprecedented. With all that is going on and the direction the county is moving, I am honored to be a part of it.
CORRECTIONS AND FIELD SERVICES
We have enjoyed many accomplishments over the past 3 years in both divisions of the office; corrections and field services. The following are just a few examples:
- We established a Vivitrol program in partnership with the Livingston County Community of Mental Health. This gives opiate users a better chance of success upon leaving jail.
- We now have a trained K9 in the jail to help find contraband.
- We partnered with L.E.S.A. to address truancy and work to resolve the core issues surrounding this as well as low reading levels.
- We established a Community Outreach Unit, whose sole function is to work with the schools, non-profits and service providers to better understand community issues and work in concert with these groups to solve them.
- We undertook the monumental task of a total re-write of our policies and procedures for the field services division.
- We entered into an agreement with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, establishing a saving for inmates who need medical attention off-site.
- We hosted a mock riot, training exercise in which participants from local, state and federal agencies participated. This was the first such training for the state of Michigan.
As mentioned these are just a few highlights, none of which could have come to fruition without my highly dedicated and motivated staff.
I ASK FOR YOUR VOTE
Thank you for the last 3 years
One of the most awesome things about being Sheriff is that my job is in the hands of the Livingston County Electorate, not a governmental unit, manager, mayor, or the governor. If you think I am doing what you expect as Sheriff and the office is heading in the right direction, I ask for your vote. If you feel I am not doing my job or the office is heading in the wrong direction, please let me know and give me an opportunity to address the issue.
It is impossible in my position to make everyone happy, but I can tell you this in all sincerity. I have given my all and I will continue to do so. I have made decisions based on what is best for the county and my office within the confines of the law of course, and I will continue to do so. I have been open, honest and approachable, and I will continue to be. When elected, I made a promise to you and myself not to be the politician that you only see at election time. I have lived up to the promise and will continue to do so.
Thank you so much for the last three years and I am looking to finish the year on a high note, and starting my second term with my foot firmly on the gas.